Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

Ryman Auditorium


Product Description

OE stands for Open Edition Print 

Ornament: 4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

Built solely for religious purposes, this downtown Nashville attraction was originally designated as the Union Gospel Tabernacle. The dedicatory plaque bears the date 1891...but actually the building was still incomplete in the year that followed. However, a steamboat captain, Thomas Ryman, contributed substantial funds and was instrumental in raising the major contributions necessary for completion of the auditorium. In appreication of his great results, the structure was renamed in his honor.

The building exterior details depicted in this 1981 print are basically Gothic with an imposing brick facade. The interior furnishings of the large hall remain essentially as they were in 1897 when a large gallery was added, bringing seating capacity to 3,000.

The auditorium has hosted performances of many famous individuals and groups well known for their religious, musical, theatrical or political expertise. Of course, the most famous occupant was the Grand Ole Opry which claimed this building as its home from 1941 to 1975, then moved to a beautiful new facility at Opryland.