Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

University School of Nashville

Price:
$5.00
Brand:
Quantity:

Product Description

Ornament: 4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

University School of Nashville traces its roots to its founding in 1891 as the Winthrop Model School at Peabody Normal College, which would become Peabody College. In 1915 the Winthrop School's successor, Peabody Demonstration School, began at the new Peabody College campus in the basement of the Jesup Psychological Building. The New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White designed the present building, completed on Edgehill Avenue in 1925. After the Demonstration School's 1975 transition to University School of Nashville, a decade passed before the building's next significant alteration, when the West Wing opened to house USN's lower school (kindergarten through fourth grades). Architects Hart-Freeland-Roberts designed this wing. In 1989, accommodating expanding enrollment, a facility named to honor Director Harvey Sperling added a gymnasium, cafeteria, and performing arts practice space. The Sperling Center was designed by Hickerson Fowlkes and Associates.

The Gordon Wing, which opened in August, 1996, is a four-story addition on the eastern edge of the campus that was build for the middle school (fifth through eighth grades) and high school science laboratories. Hickerson Fowlkes and Associates designed this addition as well. The Christine Slayden Tibbott Center, named in honor of beloved PDS art teacher Chris Tibbott, was designed by Fowlkes and Associates. Opening in August, 2003, the Tibbott Center added five visual art studios, two galleries, and other support spaces. It adjoins the Sperling Center, connecting to the original Demonstration School building. The August, 2004 opening of the Hassenfeld Library completes the school's presence on the public corner of 21st and Edgehill Avenues. The library, by Everton Oglesby Architects and built by American Constructors, was designed to complement the main entrance in symmetry with the Gordon Wing as depicted in this 2005 limited edition print.