Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

Belmont Mansion - Acklen Hall Ornament

Price:
$6.50
Brand:
Quantity:

Product Description

4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

The magnificent Italianate-style mansion was built in the early 1850's as the summer home of Joseph and Adelicia Acklen. It was originally named Belle Monte (which means beautiful mountain) after the villa in the Merchant of Venice. The desiging of the house is often attributed to Adolphus Heiman, who enlarged it in 1859-60. Having been white since the turn of the century, the mansion was resotred to its original terra-cotta color in the spring of 1990.

Some of the most elegant social occasions in Nashville, Tennessee history were held here. The house of 20,000 square feet has 36 rooms and is filled with Victorian furniture and art treasures such as paintings, mirrors and statuary. The gazebos seen in this 1990 print are part of the large collection of ornamental ironwork in the original estate.

During the War Between the States, the residence was occupied by Union forces. Since 1890, the mansion has served a prominent role for three colleges: Belmont College, 1890-1913; Ward-Belmont School, 1913-1951; and Belmont College, 1951-present. It is now maintained as a museum by the Belmont Mansion Association.