Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

Radnor Reflections Ornament - Retiring

Price:
$6.50
Brand:
Quantity:

Product Description

Ornament: 4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

There is a limited quantity of this ornament available and it will be retired once the remaining inventory is sold out.

Radnor Lake, located in the Overton Hills south of downtown Nashville, was constructed by the L&N Railroad in 1913 as a reservoir supplying water to steam engines and livestock passing through the nearby Radnor Rail Yards. In addition, it was a fishing and hunting preserve for company officials.

The new lake soon became a popular attraction to migratory birds and this prompted L&N to eliminate the sporting activities. It became a "wildlife sanctuary" in 1923 due to the efforts of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

For many years the lake area was visited primarily by neighborhood hikers and bikers. However, it suddenly gained notice and attention in 1962 when a construction firm bought the acreage for a planned housing development. By 1973, community leaders, conservationists, neighbors and politicians collectively raised funds to purchase 747 acres. As a result, Radnor Lake and the surrounding land became Tennessee's first protected ecosystem/natural area. In 2011 it encompassed 1258 acres with trails, visitor center, and vast variety of wildlife inhabitants and a fast growing list of fans and supporters.

Firends of Radnor Lake is the primary "Community sponsor" for maintenance, preservation and protection issues and for possible expansion of the ecosystem.