Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

Carnton Mansion Ornament


Product Description

4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

Randal McGavock, who was mayor of Nashville for a brief term, moved to Williamson County in 1826 to oversee his vast land holdings. He completed the building of a majestic residence near Franklin in 1828 and named it Carnton, after his family's ancient homeplace in Ireland. His wife Sarah, carefully planned the beautiful formal gardens surrounding their home.

The mansion contains many architectural details of the federal design and is constructed of bricks that were produced nearby.

Second generation McGavocks, John and Caroline, owned the beautiful house in 1864, the time of the bloody Civil War battle of Franklin. They opened Carnton to many of the wounded Confedrate soldiers and the army doctors quickly converted the sturcture into a makeshift hospital. Many dead troops (including four Southern generals) were laid out on the long back porch of the house. A portion of this double-decked veranda appears on the left side of this 1991 lithograph.