Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

Oaklands Mansion Ornament

Price:
$5.00
Brand:
Quantity:

Product Description

4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

The Oaklands plantation began as a 274-acre land grant which was given as a reward for miliatry service in the American Revolutionary war. The owner, Colonel Hardy Murfree died in 1809 resulting in Oaklands being inherited by his daughter Sally. She and her husband Dr. James Maney and their family lived in a one and one-half story, two and one-half room brick house with wood plank floors. After Sally's death in 1857, the plantation was passed on to her son Lewis and his wife Rachel. Just prior to the War Between the States, Oaklands encompassed 1,500 acres and a beautiful, almost 10,000 square-foot home.

On July 13, 1862 Confederate forces under the command of General Nathan Beford Forrest prevailed against the Union Army on Oaklands property. The area remained in Confederate control until the Union Army won the Battle on Stones River in January.

Due to the ravages and aftermath of the war, the Maney family was forced to sell the plantation and it eventually fell into great disrepair. In the 1950's, ten women formed the Oaklands Association and bought the property from the City of Murfreesboro with the commitment to open the home as a museum. They did...in just one year!