Loading... Please wait...
  • Image 1

PP - SCP - Kirkland Hall


Product Description

LE stands for Limited Edition Print

Ornament: 4" Diameter 1/8" Thick PVC

For years the first major building on the Vanderbilt University campus in Nashville was known as the "Main". Begun in 1874 and completed the next year in record time, the structure first contained classrooms, libraries and laboratories.

The Main was originally built with two matching towers and featured many of the elements found in collegiate gothic architecture.

After a disasterous fire in 1905, the process of rebuilding the Main saw evidence of skimping on restoring the famous ediface. The tower on the right side was never replaced and a flat roof was substitued for the old gabled style. Most of the original walls remain but a lower block roofline produces a stonger gothic-like appearance. The new costly tower on the left side became home to a replacement four-faced clock made by the Seth Thomas Company.

In 1988 this famous building, which has housed various departments of Vanderbuilt (including the Law School), is the administrative headquarters for the university. The name was officially changed to Kirkland Hall in 1939 to honor the memory of Professor James H. Kirkland, who was Chancellor for forty-four years of the school's illustrious history.